Sunday, November 11, 2012

We did it!

    If you remember this post I wrote last week about the half marathon you'll remember my lack of enthusiasm I had. I really thought that maybe it would change when I got to Richmond but it didn't...My sister and her friends were so excited for their run. Hilary wanted to get a PR (personal record) of under 2:20 and two of her other friends were running the half marathon for the first time (one is preggers too!!) I felt bad being such a poor sport I just wasn't feeling it. Mike and I went over to our friends Matt and Guylyn's house for dinner and it was so great seeing them and we got to finally congratulate them on their engagement in person! After we filled up on dinner and hung out for awhile it was time to head home because someone had to get up and run. WOOF!
     I really didn't want to run. However, I got up at 5:00 am ate my normal race day breakfast and got to the start line. I waited for about an hour for the race to start and while I was waiting a lady asked me if this was my first half marathon. I proceeded to tell her no and she began to explain to me that today was her first half marathon ever and she was so excited because she had trained so hard and was ready to reach her goal. It was at that moment that I realized that I should turn my negative attitude around and run this race like I know how. 
    Despite the agonizing hip and knee pain I experienced I am proud to announce that I finished the half marathon in 1:59:53! I squeaked by but I did it! My best half marathon time was 2:05 which I got at the Disney Princess Half Marathon a few years ago and I've always wanted to run it in under 2 hours and I finally did it! Even though my training was a bust and I wasn't as prepared as I would have liked to have been I was still able to reach my goal and it feels great!! Hilary reached her goal and ran it in 2:17 minutes and all of her other friends finished their first half marathon with smiles on their faces!


Results 1 - 1 of 6855Results Per Page: 
2012 Anthem Richmond Marathon
BibFirst NameLast NameAgeGenderCityStateCountry10k SplitClock TimeNet TimePlaceGender PlaceDiv PlaceDivision
11220KENDAYLCOOPER27FRESTONVA0:54:342:05:561:59:5323491073229WOMEN -- 25 THROUGH 29


My sister and I on the River Walk after the race!
(note the ice pack on my poor knee)
My dad and I
(He's never missed one of my Richmond races!)
My biggest supporter!
It was a BEAUTIFUL day to run and despite my poor attitude pre-race I had a great time and I'm so glad I ran it! This is my last half marathon for awhile (I think) because I'm starting a strength training program to work on toning/strengthening which at first incorporates very little cardio but eventually builds up to it. More to come!

bushel and a peck, 
K

No comments:

Post a Comment