Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Sweat. There are no short cuts.

A year an a half ago, Kendayl and I posted this blog post about the reason we were taking the goal of getting healthy more seriously. Based on what we learned from our grandmother and saying goodbye to her, here is what I realized:

Some days I will choose to not care. But everyday I wake up, I get to make that choice and I get to live with the consequence - both good and bad.

It's been an exhilarating road. I was on a high for finishing the half marathon and then plagued with issue after issue with knees - then my hips and hamstrings and thyroid.

What I know is that many days are hard. But I get to choose - doing nothing about it clearly gets me no where and sends me backwards. I don't always get the exact results that I want as fast as I want but everyday I make a smart decision, everyday I choose to workout over sitting on the couch - I move in the right direction and ultimately feel better about myself.




For running, Sports Backers and their awesome awesome training teams. By the way - did you know that they are a non profit? I didn't! I met with them this week and learned all abou their Active RVA campaign, kids programs and desire to help get Richmond moving. Absolutely $0 of the race fees that we pay go back to them to help grow these programs. Fees only cover the cost of putting on the race. If you've been inspired by our story, or your own and want to help yourself and others get and stay healthy, consider donating. In fact - in honor of my 30th birthday, year long LIFE celebration, I've committed to raising $1,301 dollars for Sports Backers - you can help me by donating here. And YES - that's a PlanG Personal Fundraising Campaign :) So really, you're helping me in two ways. LOVE.

Even with all that inspiration and logic - I need a little motivation and a reminder that I can do this. ENTER: SWEAT and owner Evan Settle. This guy gives Tony Horton a run for his money.

In this video - she is doing 15 pound weights in each hand - I do 20 or 25 depending on how Evan decides I should be tortured.



I'm now going Tuesdays and Thursdays after work with the girls from work and I go for a private session on Saturday. I've been going now for about 6 weeks. I get both nervous as crap and excited right before it's time to head over to his gym. Evan is sneaky - he loves to up my weights and not tell me. Coolest part is that I can usually do it. My weight isn't coming off yet - which is frustrating but my body is changing. I have muscles. I can do push ups. I have callouses on my hands and my running is even getting easier because of these new muscles in my legs. I cannot explain how much I'm loving this.

My next goal is to be able to do a pull up and have other people see my muscles - (be toned).

I push myself so hard in my professional life and I have seen so much goodness from that. Why wouldn't I push myself that hard for...myself?

I DESERVE TO BE STRONG AND HEALTHY AND LOVE MY BODY! That's what I'm working on. Everyday I get closer. I can now do 15 full on, no knee push ups. And there might be a Bicep peaking through, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment