Friday, September 2, 2011

My oh My how things can turn around!

Last weekend I ran 12 miles and it was horrible. In fact, it sucked. It was so muggy that I was dripping sweat at mile 1... not cool. I wasn't excited to be running, I wasn't enjoying it, and I walked quite a bit. However, I finished 12 miles and to be honest I told myself I wasn't going to run the marathon after that run. I gave up because I had a hard run. I talked to some friends and my sister and mom and they reminded me/asked me why I was doing the marathon. I had to think for a moment... was it for me? Is it something I really want to do? Am I doing it to prove something to other people? I thought about this for awhile and realized a few things. I realized that running a marathon has been on my bucket list for awhile now and I'm ready to get if off my list. I'm also running it because it's a new challenge for me and I LOVE new challenges. Those 2 reasons alone are for ME. I chose to sign up for this race to try something new and to push myself further.
Although, in the back of my mind I'm running this for my Grandma. She was and always will be the rock of my family. She was strong, determined, loving, and encouraging. She passed away in March and unfortunately wasn't healthy. She gave up years ago, probably when the love of her life passed away, my Grandaddy. My sister and I talked after she passed away about how we want to be healthier, not just NOW but for the rest of our lives. We want to be able to be in each others lives for as long as we possibly can. That day we promised each other, ourselves, and our family that it was time to make living healthy a priority. We started blogging together on this blog which was once called "Cooper is a Trooper" (my personal blog about working out, travel, recipes, etc.) and has now turned into "Bushel and a Peck". I don't think we've ever explained the reason for the name of this blog. My grandma always told us before we left her house, or a family function, or got off the phone with her "I love you a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck". It stuck. It's our families motto. Thus becoming the inspiration for our blog.  Here's the original song:



Ultimately this marathon is for ME. But I'll tell ya what when it gets tough I can hear my grandma telling me to keep going and not to give up. To push through the pain and hard runs. And when those runs are over I can hear her say "I love you a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck". She's my number cheerleader right before my amazing family and friends!
Grandaddy and Grandma when they got married! Aren't they adorable?!
So what turned around for me you ask? My attitude and motivation! I'm not a quitter! And I'm not about to start being one! No matter how hard a run may be I am determined and committed to run this marathon not only for myself but for my grandma.

This morning I ran 13 miles and told myself although I was nervous it was going to be a great run and I was going to get through it. Well a positive attitude sure does the trick! I ran with my friend Kerri all through D.C. and it was incredible! It was cool outside, great temperature, and we couldn't have asked for better scenery... THE NATIONS CAPITOL! It was perfect! I finished the run with a great attitude and better outlook on my running.  


I mean isn't it BEAUTIFUL?! I totally don't take advantage of the city enough but knowing how relaxing and beautiful it is for running I've fallen in love all over again!


It's true: When the going gets tough the tough gets going! So for anyone out there who is struggling or has struggled with something as yourself this... Who are you doing it for? If your answer doesn't start with YOURSELF then you should really rethink why you're doing it. And as Nemo says "Keep on keepin on!"


What gets you through the tough times??

ps: I started doing SPIN at the gym!! It's awesome!!!! more on this later:)

No comments:

Post a Comment