Tuesday, April 10, 2012

This is all about me.

Let's recap: Ran the Half - huge goal! Knee pains don't go away. Saw a doctor. I was told that nothing was wrong and likely just need to rest. 6 weeks later - pain hasn't gone away and I can barely run more than a mile.

Enter: Commonwealth Sports Medicine. Dr. Stadler actually listened to what I was saying and looked past the MRI scans and found out why my knee has been hurting for 17 years. We've started getting that Fat Pad under control and because that is being tended to, we also found that I strained my IT Band which is pretty common for runners and was contributing to the pain I was feeling.

When I started to ask about proper nutrition and wheat - Dr. Stadler even offered a blood test to help me understand my nutrition levels and just make sure that everything is in order.  Here's where we get to all the new stuff that's happened since I last posted....


As it turns out - I have great levels - great. With the exception of ONE. And it's a big one. My Thyroid. I have low thyroid. More than likely attributes to my low energy levels (don't mistake energy levels for ambition!), thin hair and why my doctor tells me that I'm 10 pounds over weight EVERY TIME I SEE HIM.  Anyway....I've asked about my thyroid in the past because my effort didn't seem to add up to my results.

Be your best advocate! That's what I've learned in this... And listen to your body. 

I'm not morbidly obese by any means but low thyroid isn't just about a complaining young girl wanting to be skinnier - and now that I know, I can actually help myself with a thyroid medication and meeting with a nutritionist to help further my health.

Lent is also over...which means I tried wheat again because the challenge was over.  umm...I don't like anything about how that made me feel. I think we'll be sticking to the no wheat rule in the Cook household :) Like rocks in my stomach. And when I eat healthier - I feel great after I eat, like I have energy not like I need a nap.

Go and Be!

H

No comments:

Post a Comment