Wednesday, June 22, 2011

SMART Goals

First off: I bought the living social deal today for SEAL team training - HOLY MOTHER! 





Have you ever heard yourself giving advice to someone and then thinking later - I guess I should listen to myself sometimes? About a year ago, Kendayl told me that she was frustrated because she was trying really hard to lose weight and stay in shape but she wasn't making any progress. At this point, I'm in a great place because I had just lost 15 pounds, run my fastest 10K to date and finished my Power 90 program. So I started rattling off all the advice I had learned during my 6 months prior to this conversation - Are you writing down what you eat? Are you snacking? You shouldn't be discouraged after a week, it takes time. Be patient. Take it one day and one meal at a time. This is about a lifestyle change not about losing weight in a week.

Easier said than done. But it's all true. Being healthy doesn't mean you have to deprive yourself or go the dreaded diet. It's about being mindful of what you put in your body and how active you are. Just writing down your food each day helps you lose weight because it forces you to stay accountable and help prevent grazing. Gluten Free diets (not related to good allergies) were a big fad last year. But studies show that removing Gluten from your diet doesn't cause you to lose weight, it's more so the fact that you're paying attention to what you're putting in your body. And that focus works.

 So, I'm not on a diet. I'm not trying to lose weight. But I do want to make some changes. Enter: SMART goals. Cheesy, I know. We talk about them during performance management at work but it does make sense.

I need to focus on little successes.

Today's goals:
Run: I did! This morning when I got up. WOO!
Eat a sensible lunch: CHECK! Mushroom Lovers Veggie Patties with two types of mustard. I have to say here that the adding of various dipping sauces is what made this. The patties are good but the sauces made it more "fun."

Tonight, I'm taking my mom out for a nice dinner on the town. It's been a mother's day tradition for us but our schedules were a little hectic. So tonight my goal is to have a great time with my mom!

I will get more detailed with my goals and I get in to this and the training for the half marathon. But I think the important thing to have fun with it. Being healthy doesn't mean boring or deprived. And if I'm being smart about my food and eating local and getting out and having fun then the number on my scale (which is in storage!) no longer matters nearly as much to me or my doctor.

1 comment:

  1. Great job Hil! I think the Smart Goals are awesome! You are beautfiul and you're doing a great job... I'll work on my smart goals too!

    ReplyDelete