Sunday, June 12, 2011

Stuffed!

I decided to make Stuffed Peppers for dinner tonight! What I love about stuffed peppers the most is that they are so easy! I made 6 stuffed peppers. Three of them I made with Mediterranean ingredients (ground turkey, garlic, parsley, feta, rice, green onions and for a kick some Greek yogurt). The other three I made Mexican style! ( I heart Mexican). I stuffed with with ground turkey with fajita seasoning, jalapenos, onion, salsa, cilantro and rice.
I just cooked 1 lb. of ground turkey and split it in half so I could throw the Greek ingredients in half and Mexican in the other. I pre-cooked the rice and ground turkey and mixed it altogether. Then I STUFFED the peppers full! I made the Mediterranean pepper tonight for dinner and now Mike and I have 5 left over for the week! That's another great thing about stuffed peppers you can freeze them and quickly take the out the morning before work and it's thawed out and ready for the oven when you get home. I'm excited for the Greek style peppers because I've never made them before... Yumm!
*Side note: don't put the peppers you aren't eating in the oven for the final cook until you are ready to eat, they can get mushy.*


Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers
Ingredients:
-4 bell peppers (I prefer the sweet red ones!)
-box of couscous (I love the Near Eat whole wheat roasted garlic)
-feta cheese
-green scallions
-1/2 lb. ground turkey
-fresh garlic
-Parsley
-Dollop of Greek Yogurt

-Brown the ground turkey in a pan. Towards the end throw in the garlic for some added flavor! (Make sure not to brown the garlic)
-Cook the rice (you can substitute it for couscous or quinoa too) as it says on the box.
- Chop the scallions and parsley
-I added a dollop of Greek yogurt to give the stuffing some moisture and a little kick
-Mix everything together and start stuffing!

put the top back on the pepper and bake at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes (give or take depending on how crunchy/not crunchy you like your pepper)

For the Mexican Stuffed Peppers repeat the same recipe above just substitute the ingredients for the following:
-rice
-jalapenos (any pepper you like for a Kick!)
-salsa for added flavor and so it doesn't dry out
-sprinkle some Mexican cheese on top before baking
-cilantro
- red onion

Here's a before picture of the different peppers before they are baked!





Enjoy! Let me know if you tried them and if you changed up the recipe at all!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment