Thursday, October 20, 2011

I've stopped saying NEVER


  • 4 years ago my in laws tried to get me to sign up for the Ukrop's 10K. I said NEVER. No interest in running.
    • Now I've completed 3 of them
  • 3 Years ago I said I'd NEVER do a Tri
    • Now I've completed 2 sprint events
  • Last year Kendayl said she was going to do the full and I said I'd NEVER do more than the 10K
    • I'm now 23 days away from completing my first half marathon
  • When I signed up for this half, I said that I'd NEVER do more than one. This was it.
    • I have at least 3 more that I want to do and one scheduled for next March in DC
See a pattern? It sounds corny but it really is amazing what you can accomplish when you commit. There's a sign when I leave Gold's Gym that reads "Know that you'll be back tomorrow." 




I started this process with a lot of doubts. I'm not at athlete. I'm not a runner. I'm not disciplined enough. I'm not a lot of things.

Now I understand better that I AM who ever I want to be. I won't win medals but that's not the point. I am a runner because I go out and run. Because I wake up at 5:20am on Saturday mornings and join Jillian and Kendra and Matt for our long runs. I want this and that forces discipline.

4 years ago I said that I had no desire to run. Period. Last Saturday, I RAN 10 MILES!!! And I wasn't being chased! :) This goal was never meant to be accomplished by me - and yet - HERE I AM!


3 comments:

  1. go you! I am still in the only run when chased camp but I'm super super proud of you for getting after this. No regrets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I"m so so so so sooo PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you were not being chased, but was there a sale? My only two qualifications for running. Very proud of you. Determination comes from the head as much as it does from the heart.

    ReplyDelete