Sunday, November 13, 2011

The BIG day!!

I woke up Saturday for my Marathon more nervous than I have ever been. My stomach was in knots and I was terrified. I got to the race and saw my friend Kelli off on her 8k race, saw my sister and friend Kimberly off on their 1/2 Marathons and then I was left there in a crowd of people trying to psych myself up. It was Go time! My corral was called to the starting line and the gun (I think it was a gun it might have been a siren I don't remember) and off we went! 
I was meeting one of my bff's at mile 2 because she was so lovingly willing to run a huge chunk of the race with me to support me (16 miles to be exact.. yeah she's awesome!) I got to mile 2 and didn't see her and started to panic. What if I had missed them? What if she didn't make it? How was I going to be able to do this alone? After I panicked for a moment I turned the corner and there she was! She was standing with my friends and Mike and they didn't see me coming. I startled them when my jacket and gloves came flying their way! When she finally saw me she screamed, hopped in and away we went!
I was so excited because my goal was to get 4:30 or less however, I saw the 4:15 pacer guy behind me! I didn't want to focus too much on that because I didn't want to lose steam too soon. We had a good pace and I felt strong. My friend Matt hopped in around mile 12 dressed as Abe Lincoln and it definitely made me laugh which felt good:)



 We kept on running and I was feeling good. My knee started bothering me because the roads in Richmond are not flat. They have a roundness to them that makes running awkward and tough on the knees. The further we ran the more it hurt but we kept pushing on. Having Regina by my side really helped me out. She encouraged me, she laughed with me, and at one point she cried with me. When things started to seem hard I put my hand on the angel I pinned to my shirt. My grandmother made us pearl angels every year when we were younger and to honor her we pinned them to our shirts. At one point when I touched it I broke into tears. I remember saying to Regina " I just wish she was here to see this". I was so proud of myself and I would have given anything for her to have been there to see it. But I know she was there and every time I touched that angel I could hear her saying "Keep going suga' pie, keep goin'". She was there with me for sure.
Reg was saying "Coop you can do it! I love you" and I was saying "I love you too!"

At about mile 17-18 I saw my friend Jen who was yelling like there was no tomorrow! Seeing her at that moment really lifted my spirits, not to mention surprised me! At mile 19 Regina hopped out and my friend Kerri hopped in to support me the last few miles. Mike snapped some pictures and looking at them now I looked pretty good! But low and behold that's about when I hit the wall. Poor Kerri.... I complained a lot those last 6 miles but she was right there beside me to push me. We walked some and we ran some, and we walked some more and we ran some more. She kept telling me "I know it hurts but it's going to hurt even when you walk". BOY was she right! It hurt sooooo bad. I knew it was going to hurt but I was not expecting what I felt. My legs and knees were throbbing and cramping and mind was taking a beating as well. But Kerri kept me focus and I hit a point where I said I'm going to do this. We rounded a corner and none other than my friend Courtney and Regina were there yelling at me to keep going! They kept saying Coop you're going to do it, you're almost there! In my head I knew this was the end. I kicked it into high gear and took off down the final hill that led to the finish line.

At this moment I wasn't thinking about anything other than getting across that finish line. I heard Reg say to Kerri "just let her go, let her go". I saw Jen screaming on the side lines followed by Kelli jumping up and down, then came Kimberly yelling, and Matt waving, and then finally My family. I knew my mom and dad were going to be there with my Aunt Bonnie but what I didn't know was that my Aunt Susan was going to be there. They were wearing t-shirts that said "A bushel and a peck" and holding pictures of my grandma up in there air. I looked at them and broke into tears. I was so incredibly happy and grateful that they were there to support me and seeing my grandmas picture made it so special. My mom and dad were yelling for me and it all seemed so unreal. I crossed the finish line and cried some more. Regina and Kerri came running over and we had a cry fest. I couldn't hold it back anymore not to mention I was so tired and worn out.

I ran to my family and we all hugged and cried and I just couldn't have been more happy. I saw my sister and we ran and hugged each other. I was so proud of her for her accomplishment and to be able to share that feeling together was something I will never ever forget. We set a goal together and we accomplished. It was one of the coolest moments and accomplishments to date. To have worked so hard for so long and to have been so dedicated to this the feeling was indescribable.

I ran this race for myself and in honor of my grandma and I would do it again in a heart beat. The greatest feeling in the world is working hard for something and seeing all of that hard work pay off. I missed Mike's birthday and many many fun nights with my friends. However, looking back I wouldn't have changed a thing.




To all of you who supported me along the way and encouraged me when I got tired THANK YOU SO MUCH! I couldn't have done it without you! :)

xoxox, 
K (the marathoner) :)

And to answer the question that everyone keeps asking me "Will you do it again?"

Absolutely! (In a year or so)


What's up next?
-Girls on the Run 5k- November 20
-Richmond Turkey Trot- November 24
-Hot Chocolate 15k- December 3
-Rock N' Roll 1/2 Marathon- March 17
-Richmond Muddy Buddy- May 1

Next years goals: Tough Mudder next fall and possibly the 1/2 Iron Man in 2013 or so....



We celebrated at my sisters new house after and here is proof Courtney was there:) She didn't seem to make it into the after race pictures:)


6 comments:

  1. SOO PROUD OF YOUUUU!!!!


    WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE WITH ALLLLLLL MY HEART!


    Steamtown Marathon October 2012!!!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were there in spirit girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) I appreciate all of your support!:) I'm thinking Marine Corps but we'll see about Steamtown!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Kendayl! So proud of you, wish I coulda been there but I waived a sign for you on the streets of Hoboken instead! Omp :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY Kendayl!!!!!! You looked awesome in your race! I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So proud of you, girlfriend! I want to be running with you for the next one! :)

    ...and let's add the OBX half to your list...

    ReplyDelete