Thursday, May 6, 2010

Training wheels schmaining wheels



I have to admit I've very excited about today! As I told you last week I got my first bike since I was about 8 years old. She's yellow and her name is Buttercup (lame... yes, amazing, YES!). Anyways, I've been really nervous to ride because I don't have a helmet, I don't know where I'm going, and lets face it I'm not the most graceful person on earth. However, I faced my fears today and went for my first ride with my friend Kerri.
We were both unsure where the WO&D trail met up between our houses so we both took our phones and attempted to meet at the same place. But of course we didn't. I ended up a good mile or 2 in the wrong direction; SHOCKER! So I turned around and went back the other way and finally met up with her. She had an extra helmet for me which calmed my nerves because riding without one in Norther VA traffic is horrendous! She was all decked out from head to toe in riding gear and I rolled up with no helmet, running shorts, and running shoes on... I'll work my way up to being a cute rider one day!
We set out on a ride and while I was already a little tired from going the wrong direction and having to come back up hill I was determined to stay with her. We had great weather and we had a lot of fun! Before I knew it we were at 6 miles! I was only a few miles away from Mikes house in Vienna! We stopped at 6 miles, took a water break and chatted, and then hopped on each others bikes to check them out. Her bike is awesome! It weighs next to nothing (carbon fiber) and has a great seat! Now, I never really thought that the seat really mattered but let me tell you IT DOES! My butt and lady parts are definitely feeling sore... I can't imagine what they're going to feel like in the morning. So I've decided I'm going to start looking for a new seat that better suits a woman and invest in some biking shorts with what I call a "grundle pad" in them. Yes, that sounds ridiculous gross but you need them in order to ride.
We parted ways at our meeting point and I biked the rest of the way home by myself. I honestly felt so accomplished when I was done. I have ridden a bike in over 12 years I'd say and while I did almost run into one man which I was trying to focus on switching gears, I made it safely home and had a great time! I am proud to say that I biked 12 miles!!! My sprint Tri. in August is 11 so I think I'll do great. Once I train more and get used to the gears and my bike more I really think I can push it hard on race day.

*Just as a side note the picture of me is right after I rode and the only reason I lifted my bike is because I couldn't fit it in the picture and not cut my head off... I'm not trying to show off my the strength I've gained from Tony** :)

At any rate, Cinco de Mayo was fun! Chevy's had no specials which was a let down but we managed to have a great time. I got mahi mahi fish tacos and barely ate half of it... probably because I had more chips then I should have and because I was full on drinks. Overall I'd say I did ok! I love me some Mexican!!

Tomorrow night is my school's basketball game against our "rival" Elementary School. I got suckered into playing again this year; more so because we didn't have enough players because lets be real I am terrible at basketball. However, it's a fun night and lots of kids come out and support so it's a great time! My parents won't be here until Saturday morning for our fun weekend of Mother's Day activities so Mike is coming to my game tomorrow to be my cheer squad. (poor mike!) :) I keep telling myself, as competitive as I am, it's all for fun and fun community outreach opportunity for my kids and school:) All in the name of KIDS! :)

Gooooo WESTLAWN EAGLES!! (one of my kids asked if I could to a "slamp dunk". I said, Ryan I'll try just for you buddy... Oh geez!)





No comments:

Post a Comment