Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Biggest Loser and Self Esteem

I started a new job rather recently. I'm the only woman on the team. Which has its perks. For example, there's no drama. Guys just tell you how it is and they move on. There's no guessing what guys think. Down fall - we've all decided to do a Biggest Loser competition from now until Memorial Day.

Biggest Loser Rules:

$100 entry fee per person
You can work out with other people in the contest
Winner - highest total body fat % lostWinner gets 60% of the pot, 2nd place gets 30% and 3rd place gets 10%

I have calipers that I brought in to the office and we measured using this site and option 2.

So far so good. And then the pinching began. Caliper do this: I can't think of any other activity that makes me feel this good about myself - except maybe a pool party with cheerleaders or if perhaps Heidi Klum where here measuring body fat with me.


There are two other women participating. One who was cheerleader and the other who is this adorable school guidance counselor. Both are little bitty cute things.
So we measure. We're all laughing as we do this and at that moment I'm actually fine. It's just a number.
And then the results....
Males: Women:
TC - 20.5% HC - 32.7%
EM - 20.9 MC - 22.6
CW - 28.9 MK - 27.0
MA - 25.1
CO - 20.5

I'm the fattest. YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! And you know guys - they don't care. They aren't thinking what I'm thinking. So emails start going back and forth about how fat we are BUT I'M THE FATTEST. humiliating.
So I threw myself a pitty party and ate more food. Solid solution I think. Maggiano's braised short ribs.

For me, the frustrating part is that I've been the most active this past year and half then I've been most of my life. I work out with pretty good regularity. I can now run. I even, on occasion, do yoga. My diet is far better than it's ever been - doesn't mean that I don't pick the braised short ribs when I'm out for dinner or the alfredo but on the whole, I eat fresh vegetables daily, I make chicken for most dinners...

I'd love to tell you 4 readers out there that I've got an inspirational - BUT we're all beautiful message for the end of this - and while I know that's true - I'm not ready for that yet.
But I do have these questions:
How do you know what's right for your body?
How much do genes have to do with your number and how you loose weight and fat?

The competitive side of me knows what to do here to win - be 100% on. No alcohol, no cheating, no fun. But then what happens after the contest? I don't want to be unrealistic and I want to enjoy life. How do you lose and enjoy it?

1 comment:

  1. As a fellow avid Biggest Loser watcher Hil, I think you should turn this into a motivator. Being in your position simply means that you are the biggest threat to everyone else. You have the most potential!! Also keep in mind that as women, we are supposed to have a higher body fat content than men, it is important for our health!
    I agree with your point about "what about when its all over?" Cutting booze and all treats just adds to the misery. As my mother is constantly saying to me about everything in my life, everything in moderation. You can do it! Love you!

    For the record, it hasn't been a stellar workout week here...and by not stellar I mean an epic fail. Only one morning of kettlebells. :(

    ReplyDelete