Monday, February 20, 2012

Healthier NATURAL Cookies!

Keep reading for these yummy delights:)
    Who doesn't like a good chocolate chip cookie every now and again?! I sure do! However, I've been reading a lot recently about trying to make better, healthier choices when cooking. Instead of using vegetable oil and sugar when I bake I'm trying to find alternatives such as agave nectar and coconut oil that are natural and don't have ingredients in it that I can't pronounce. Now, I'm not saying I eat completely organic, natural, etc. because that would be a lie. I try to make healthy choices when I eat without completely getting rid of something because for me that's not realistic and I don't want to follow some fad diet that helps you "get back to your high school weight!". I do however watch my portion size, try to choose whole foods, lots of veggies and fruits, lean protein, limit sugar, and I'm working on buying things with the real deal fat in it opposed to buying the fat free/low fat stuff because they put so many extra chemicals and additives in it that's harder for your body to break down and digest. Your body ends up trying to break down the chemicals and additives then trying to burn the good fat. Again, I'm working on this... when I see low fat/fat free I buy it whereas now I'm really trying to go more natural and just watch how much of it I eat. Here is a great Video about the idea of full fat vs. no fat/low fat and what foods to eat and which to stay away from. (My friend Maria over at A life to Bragg About has a lot of great ideas, tips, and recipes for healthy eating without following a silly little fad diet. She's inspired me a lot with playing around with recipes and has also helped me to understand the importance of natural ingredients.) 
    I will say that I did eliminate gluten/wheat products from my diet because I have a gluten allergy and my body can't process and break down the gluten. It was a hard hard hard adjustment for me because as my sister and family said "I had a problem with gluten"... breads, pasta, chips, etc. you name it and I was addicted. However, ever since going gluten free I feel better than I ever have! I don't feel bloated, tired, I don't have abdominal pain, and I no longer have to take pain/muscle relaxer medication. It is a wonderful feeling. For so many years I just thought those symptoms came along with eating pasta, breads etc. It wasn't until I pulled them out of my diet did I realize those were NOT NORMAL feelings. It took time to get used to not using them as staples in my diet and I did crave them for awhile but it's been almost a year since I gave it up and I wouldn't turn back. It works for me and the lifestyle I want to live. It doesn't mean it  has to work for you. Find a healthy way of eating that fits your lifestyle! I'm not a psycho health eater who wont eat at a BBQ, Tailgate, or birthday party. HA! I eat and I enjoy it but I try to make better choices. If I want a piece of cake I first know that my stomach will kill me because more than likely it's not gluten free and 2. I'm ok with indulging every now and again. If I want pizza I'm going to eat it but I'm going to add protein and not put as much cheese on it. Ultimately I want to enjoy my life and a huge part of that is what I eat. I plan to eat what I want in moderation and choose healthier ingredients/options when available.
    Ok ok I won't make you wait any longer for the cookie reveal! I got the recipe from my friend Kimberly who eats primal/paleo. Mike and I went over to their house for dinner a few weeks ago and if you know Kimberly you don't say no to her desserts. She was testing a cookie recipe and if you know me, you know I don't say no to... well... anything:) So I was her taste tester and BOY was I happy I was there. They were delicious! After that night I kept saying I was going to try out the recipe because Mike LOVES COOKIES. (He loves them so much that he wants to ditch the wedding cake tradition and just have cookies. Ha... too bad he doesn't get to have a say in that decision... but we will have cookies at our wedding) 


Primal Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Ingredients:
1 ¼ C. Almond meal
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 C. raw agave nectar
1/8 C. Grass fed butter (original recipe calls for Macadamia nut oil) I used Coconut oil instead of the butter/Macadamia nut oil)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 C. Dark Chocolate chips. (the darker the chip the less sweet it will taste. If you are Primal- you should try for a 72% or higher dark chocolate) I couldn't find 72% dark chocolate chips so I used what I had at home (Semi sweet choc. chips) I don't care for dark chocolate... so again I followed the majority of the recipe but adapted it to what I already had in my pantry and what I prefer to eat.


Process:
Heat over to 325
·         Mix almond flour, salt, and baking soda well. In a small bowl, mix agave nectar, Macadamia nut oil, and vanilla. Combine wet and dry ingredients, mixing well. Add dark chocolate chips. ( I added coconut flakes to the cookie batter as well.) Batter is very sticky and should be thick enough that you can roll a small ball between your palms and set it on the cookie sheet without it drooping or losing shape.
          Make small balls of cookie dough and space them evenly on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Press the cookies down as flat as possible with the palm of your hand.  The cookies will not spread out on their own.
Picture by Kimberly :)
Press them flat with your hand

·         Bake about 6 minutes. Watch closely and remove when the edges start to brown.  Place on rack to cool.
·         Cookie bar option-  Line 8 x 8 pan with parchment paper. Spread batter thinly across pan. Bake for 12-15 minutes until top is lightly browned. DO not over-cook and check them every 4 minutes. (If you are paleo/primal- these are great. If you are not use to the dark chocolate- they may not be sweet enough for you.)
Again courtesy of Kimberly (I don't have a camera or cool phone)

They are soooooo good! Trust me on this one... you have to try them! And while you eat them you can know that they are all natural and better for you!

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I love agave nectar! Its such a good healthy substitute for sugar. Have you tried the Skinny Girl drinks? They are made with agave nectar

    ReplyDelete