Friday, February 10, 2012

sick as a dog



I'm sick. Not like cough, cough sniffle, sniffle kind of sick. Sick as in I've had a fever for 5 days, chills and sweats, a migraine since Saturday, a whooping cough, body aches, and the worst sore throat I can remember ever having. All I have wanted is my mommy. I have been go go go since we got engaged and got the keys to our cute little cottage in Reston and it has finally hit me. It hit me so hard that it literally knocked me on my butt. I worked a total of 1.5 days this week and really I should have only worked .5.
   So what do I have, you ask? I went to the minute clinic on Tuesday and she "diagnosed" me having the following...
      1. An upper respiratory infection
      2. A sinus infection
      3. The FLU
You would think that I would have gotten some of of prescription to help out with the above illnesses. But NO the doctor told me to take a daily allergy pill, Flonase, and to get over the counter Sudafed.
You: "Kendayl did those things work?"
Me: "Heck NO!"
    To top it off Wednesday night, as I was preparing to go back to work the next day, my throat starts hurting. I figure it was post nasal drip and would be sore until my sinus infection cleared up. To bed I went... I tossed and turned, coughed and hacked (poor Mike probably hasn't slept all week) and what seemed like 1 hour later, I woke up. I didn't wake up bright eyed and bushy tailed like I was hoping. Instead I woke up to the worst sore throat I have had since I was 12 years old surrounded by day care germs. I took a shower, got my life together and headed to work. I'll admit I cried on the way to work because I was in so much pain. But as they say, the show must go on!
    I worked that day... I cried that day...I cried out for my mommy that day. It was the worst day I've had in a really long time. I went to the secretary crying and asking for help getting a sub for the next day and who walks in... my principal! I looked like a hot mess! Fortunately the people are my school are incredible and did all the leg work for me in finding a sub. I finished out the day, barely, and left school headed home.
     I went straight back to the minute clinic, praying I got a different doctor. God was watching because I did in fact get a new doctor. She was awesome! The moment I started telling her my symptoms over the last week she looked shocked! She got on the phone to call for another doctor's opinion and proceeded to tell me that the symptoms I had been having sounds very similar to Viral Meningitis. In my case for this week I call that the cherry on top. She referred me to Reston Hospital Center Urgent Care and told me to go there immediately. (All I'm thinking is somebody give me some medicine and let me go home!)

    I went home and got Mike and he took me to the hospital. Thank goodness it was empty and I was seen right away. The doctor there proceeded to tell me that all my symptoms didn't really happen and that all I have is strep throat. I wanted to scream, I want to hit her, and I wanted to raid the pharmacy in the back of the hospital for all of the narcotics I could get my hands on because I was in so much gosh darn pain I didn't care what I had I just wanted it gone!
     Despite her telling me I didn't really have migraines or a fever for a week (ha!) she gave me a prescription for a Z-pack and pain killers. Thank you and goodbye.

      I got my pain killers and Z-pack and went home. I cried some more because of course the pills they gave me are giant horse pills and the obvious choice to give someone with strep throat. I choked them down, watched some TV, ate caramel pudding and apple sauce, and then passed out. I woke up so many times last night with the sweats and chills and feeling like the room was spinning. While those pain killers were great they made me feel ill. 
sneaky little pain killers!
    However, I'm happy to report that when I woke up this morning, although my throat still hurts, it is starting to feel SOOOO much better! No tears today! In fact I was so ecstatic that I was starting to feel somewhat like a human again I did what any person finally coming out of a dying state would do... online shop!  
    Mike has been making fun of my because most of my jeans and work pants don't fit anymore. To be exact he says I look like a grandma with a saggy butt. Thank you honey:) So I got to toss the old ones and get myself some news ones! They arrived today and I'll tell ya what... a good pair of pants that fits really makes you feel good about yourself (even when my throat is just about swollen shut). I may have added in a new pair of boots and some tops to go along with those new pants. My excuse, I needed a whole new outfit(s) in order to really feel good about myself. He can't touch those words! :)

Happy weekend y'all!

Kendayl

No comments:

Post a Comment